We at Precious Metals Inc., aim at customer satisfaction, we want you to be delighted every time you shop with us. You can always return items if they are defective or sent incorrect. Please know that you must provide us a written record of the reason for return or exchange within 14 days of receiving the item.

Returns

To be eligible for a return, we require a couple of things.

  • Your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it.
  • Your item must be in the original, unopened packaging.
  • Your item needs to have the receipt or proof of purchase.
  • The product must be returned in the original and undamaged manufacturer packaging / box. If the product was delivered in a second layer of Precious Metals Inc., packaging, it must be returned in the same condition with return shipping label attached. Do not put tape or stickers on the manufacturers box.

Refunds

Once we receive your item, we will inspect it and notify you that we have received your returned item. We will immediately notify you on the status of your refund after inspecting the item.

If your return is approved, we will initiate a refund to your credit card (or original method of payment).

25% of the original payment will be deducted and the other 75% will be refunded to your credit card (or original method of payment).

You will receive the credit usually within 5 working days, depending on your card issuer’s policies.

Shipping

You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are nonrefundable.

Items Not Eligible

Products on sale are non-returnable. This includes items in our Limited offering collection.

Precious Metals Data, Currency Data, Charts, and Widgets Powered by nFusion Solutions