Finely crafted coins recall Canada’s finest military moments in the Royal Canadian Mint’s latest numismatic offering
OTTAWA, ONTARIO, AUGUST 7, 2018 –In keeping with a time-honoured tradition of commemorating the bravery and sacrifice of Canadian soldiers on coins, the Royal Canadian Mint is proud to have issued the 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – A Nation’s Mettle: The Dieppe Raid, among many other memorable keepsakes this month. Illustrated by accomplished coin designer Laurie McGaw, this outstanding collectible depicts the reflection of a contemporary veteran saluting the fallen, reflected in the water receding from the beach at Dieppe, France. The coin serves as a reminder of the many Canadian soldiers lost or captured in the fateful Second World War operation on August 19, 1942. The juxtaposition of the past and present also pays tribute to those Canadian veterans who dutifully commemorate those sacrifices every August at Dieppe, New Brunswick.
Also remembered are the dates August 8 to November 11, 1918 on the 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – First World War Battlefront Series: Canada’s Hundred Days. Joel Kimmel’s illustration of soldiers overlooking the makeshift grave of a comrade buried amidst the rubble of a devastated town symbolizes the sacrifice of Canadians who fought costly but successful battles, from Amiens to Mons, in the last 100 days of the First World War.
On the 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – First World War Allied Forces: France, artist Pandora Young has captured the hope and determination of French ground forces, with fellow airmen flying above, as they make their final push to victory in the closing months of the war. The selectively gold plated flaming bomb insignia of the French infantry adds a special flourish to a coin honouring the brave men who gave so much to secure an Allied victory on their home soil.
On another front, the Mint continues to re-imagine coins by creatively altering their shape. This time, it has produced its first stamp-shaped 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Canada’s Historical Stamps: Parliament Building 1927 Confederation. Faithfully replicating the bright carmine commemorative postage stamp issued in celebration of Canada’s 60th anniversary, this coin features serrated edges that mimic perforations. Another unique collectible is the ovoid-shaped 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Four Seasons of the Maple Leaf where artist Margaret Best has illustrated the iconic maple leaf, in rich colour and selective gold plating, as it emerges and transforms through each season.
Other great collectibles available in store this month include:
- The 2018 Fine Silver Colourised Coin Set – Classic Canadian Coins, the Mint’s first set of exquisitely coloured silver reproductions of Canada’s traditional circulation designs, which includes a pure silver medallion of the Mint’s Ottawa and Winnipeg facilities in commemoration of its 110th anniversary;
- The 2018 $100 Fine Silver Coin – Portrait of a Princess, is an elegant reproduction of Yousuf Karsh’s famous 1951 photo of a young Princess Elizabeth, on a stunning 10 oz. pure silver coin;
- The 10 oz., selectively gold-plated 2018 $100 Fine Silver Coin – Keepers of Parliament: The Beaver, featuring the artwork of Patrick Bélanger;
- The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Nocturnal by Nature: Cunning Cougar, whose black rhodium-plated design of a prowling cougar is accented by a silvery moon in a Tony Bianco design;
- The 2018 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Canadian Mosaics: Grizzly Bear, designed by artist Jori van der Linde;
- The 2018 $3 Fine Silver Coin – Canadian Coasts: True North, a square-shaped coin whose Maurade Baynton design features iconic symbols of our northern coastline;
- The 2018 5-Ounce Fine Silver Coin – Big Coin Series: One-Cent Coin, selectively plated in rose gold;
- The 2019 Pure Gold Maple Leaf Fractional Set – 40th anniversary of the Gold Maple Leaf featuring a 1 oz., coloured and serialized coin as well as ¼, 1/10 and 1/20 oz. engraved versions packaged in a leaf-shaped maple wood case;
- The 2018 $15 Fine Silver Coin – Blessings of Harmony, a scallop-shaped, fully gold-plated coin designed by Aries Cheung featuring a pair of swallows symbolizing harmony;
- The 2019 $2,500 Pure Gold Coin – Year of the Pig, a one kilo, scalloped-shaped coin designed by Three Degrees Creative and the 2019 $150 Gold Coin – Year of the Pig designed by Aries Cheung, both celebrating the upcoming Chinese Lunar New Year;
- The 2018 $100 Fine Silver Coin – The Bronze Age of DC Comics, an impressive 10 oz., shield-shaped coin featuring the 1970’s and 1980’s incarnations of the super heroes of the Justice League, illustrated in full colour by Jason Fabok and Brad Anderson;
- The 2018 $3 Fine Silver Coin – The Thirteen Teachings from Grandmother Moon: Thimbleberry Moon, designed by Frank Polson; and,
- The crystal-enhanced 2018 $5 Fine Silver Coin – Birthstones: September, featuring a mandala-inspired sapphire design by artist Pandora Young.
All of these products can be ordered directly from the Mint at 1-800-267-1871 in Canada,
1-800-268-6468 in the US, or online at www.mint.ca. The coins are also available at the Royal Canadian Mint’s boutiques in Ottawa and Winnipeg, as well as through our global network of dealers and distributors, including participating Canada Post outlets.